We cracked open the used can of Monstaliner and poured a little bit of M.E.K. underneath the top skin of the leftovers. Since it was still rubbery, it thinned out nicely, and 1 month old liner was once again viable. I used to mixing stick to full in the hole, and a foam brush to add some texture (it is now more like Line-X, but you can only feel the difference, not see it). I applied that in horrible conditions. The bumper was about 35 degrees, and it was about 40 outside. It even rained the same night I put it on. After 1 month, that is still a great patch that is unnoticeable.
It is amazing how easy it is to actually repair this stuff. When I put the seat back in for the first time, I didn't give the bumper nearly enough time to cure. I dropped the corner of the seat on it, and it chipped through 1 coat of Monstaliner, 4 coats of properly cured Rustoleum Hammered Paint, and 2 Coats of self etching primer. It ended up being down to bare metal, and after a couple of weeks there was some rust. I hit it with a wire wheel on the drill (did nothing to the Monstaliner, just took the rust back to bare metal), and did something Very Amazing (to me at least).
I've been between monster liner and raptor liner for a while, but I'm more inclined to the monster liner because its a roll on application and seems like it'd be less frustrating to me. Anyone got more pics of the monster liner?
The Tub looks great whether there is carpet on it, or if it is just Monstaliner. The orange peel look of the liner dulls the shine of the liner a bit, and I think that is a good thing. It also provides sufficient grip for things in the Jeep (although my coffe can with tow chains slid, but it is a plastic can). There is nothing rough about it, so it is very smooth to the touch, and doesn't scratch your arms at the fender wells when grabbing something.
|07-16-2013, 09:21 AM||#8|
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
I started friday evening removing the interior, which was quite easy(1 hr). I did gave the seat belt assembly extra slack before removal from the tub to make re-install easier. Saturday was about 4-5 hrs worth of sanding, MEK cleaner, then sand some more. Buy extra sheets of 80-100 grit sandpaper for this process. You want the factory paint to be dull but not removed. I painted that evening and took another 4-5 hrs with about 1 hr wait time in between coats for 3 coats.(I just wanted to be done but it was near dry to the touch between coats). Sunday morning, I pushed the Jeep out of the garage to spray fine mist water with the garden hose to help with the curing process then reinstalled the interior later that afternoon. I recommend buying extra latex disposible gloves and a mask. Monstaliner is very difficult to remove from skin and it stinks! What I also found is that Rustoleum semigloss protective enamel in a rattlecan matches monstaliner well. I sprayed the crevises that was difficult to get to with the monstaliner brush with the enamel. Golf tees or foam earplugs works well to cover the bolt holes during application.